Friday, January 8, 2010

C & H


We want to have a baby. A Cosette or a Henry. We are financially secure, have a cute little house with an extra bedroom, we both feel ready. The only thing standing in our way is my illness-- it stands like a brick wall in front of us and leaves us wondering...can we do this?

I would have to be off medication for nine months. This really is the part that scares me most. Then we would have the baby and I could get right back on these "magical" pills and feel somewhat stable. I think of postpartum depression, I'm sure I will struggle with this. I remember horror stories I've heard of a woman who wanted to microwave her baby.

I have dreams that I hurt our baby on accident. One that Henry is six years old and has night terrors because I have passed my illness on to him , the other that I am helping him walk when he is one and I somehow break his arm. I am so scared I am going to be like my parents: emotionally neglectful, overly dependent, overprotective.

At the same time I am incredibly excited, hopeful, expectant. Maybe I even feel ready at times. Most of the time though, I am scared to death and doubting that it is even possible. I am so cursed, how could I ever have a child and not curse it as well?

2 comments:

  1. You are not cursed Catherine. You are ill.

    I have heard now that they think it is better for women to stay on their meds while pregnant.

    One of my daughters has lupus and they have very strong drugs, but she had to stay on the meds and both kids are fine.

    You are freaking yourself out. You are not going to do any of that.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Renee, sometimes a need a little motherly wake up call. :)

    Love, Catherine

    ReplyDelete