Sunday, March 21, 2010

out of hiding

I'm trying to be brave. Strong and brave and Catherine. It's hard when you are in the middle of a bad day/bad weekend/bad life. I'm melancholy down this morning fighting my morning demon with disheartening hollows and meager handfuls of pebbles.

I try to be brave but sometimes I go down into my rabbit hole and feel so cursed. Like I can never get over it ("it" being childhood). I so want to; I am gaining days where I can feel it seeping away from me but today it's here. Too close, breathing on my neck, I smell the stench of it. That old weeping gangrenous wound sitting next to me.

I try to be brave but sometimes I feel like such a burden. I imagine people pairing me in groups, viewing me as a responsibility rather than a person. An uncomfortable load on the back, a stitch in the side. There are only a few people I trust enough to lean on but I hate when people believe that I lean on them when I actually don't. They feel burdened just being friends with me, maybe that says something about them, maybe, more importantly, it says something about me.

I try to be brave and imagine myself as a mother. I wonder if I can do it. On good days I can, on bad days I could if I had to. I am not a person who takes responsibility lightly, maybe that is why I carry the least amount of responsibility possible, because I am so afraid of failing? I want to be a mummy, a good loving healthy mummy. I have this feeling, this peaceful sense that it will happen soon.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, sweets! You know, I wonder if it's less about getting over your childhood and more about making peace with that part of you that will forever be a part of you. It's the same for me - my tough times will forever be part of who I have become and who I am becoming.

    And when I look at you today: beautiful, courageous, honest, feeling, hoping, looking forward, speeding toward becoming your whole self - maybe you can make peace with it, accept it, then lay it down and move forward unburdened...

    When I look into your future, it looks bright to me! And I love the plans you are making and the hopes you are dreaming into being!!

    Much love and a big hug, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fear of failing is going to be what keeps you moving towards what you want to be. If you didn't have that fear, how would you know you need to change?

    Praying for you, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silke and Lily, how sound the comments and suggestions... Yes Catherine, it is scary to come out of hiding into the sunlight. But we welcome you... We who love you unconditionally, we love your wisdom, your thoughts and insights. As Lily says, if we don't question our fears, we don't overcome and move forward.

    Love you so much. Thank you for a beautiful birthday! You are special... L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments. Such good advice and points, don't know what I'd do without you girls.

    ReplyDelete