Friday, September 18, 2009

Silly kids

We are still kids. We got together when Ron was twenty-three and I was nineteen. I remember thinking he was so old when we got together, such a grown up. Now that I have surpassed twenty-three, I realize how young we were when we got married. We are lucky to have come this far. We have beat the odds. We are in love and committed to each other.

I think the we have come this far for a few reasons. One being that we are best friends. We love spending time together and we have so much in common. At the same time we are both different and allow each other to pursue our own hobbies; we give each other space. Secondly, we are truly committed to each other and are not swayed by our feelings. We have both made a conscious choice and we choose every day to love each other, to stay together, to make our life special. Thirdly, we are totally honest with each other. We talk openly about everything. We respect each others opinions, we aren't afraid to fight but try not to argue about the things that truly do not matter.

We have come through some terribly hard times with my illness. Times where all I wanted to do was leave, times where I wanted to leave this earth; and we are still here--still in love. I think the biggest thing is that we understand that love is a choice not a feeling. Feeling love is wonderful but choosing to love is even better.

1 comment: